Let’s start the year trying One Thing that you can try or do that will bring your family closer to Jesus.
One Thing you could do is have more fun!! It’s so easy to get caught up in the day to day of school, work, chores, sports. It is important we enjoy our family time, particularly when our kids are small. Life can easily get stagnant or revolve around one family member’s work or hobbies. So it’s important we make sure we spend time having fun, enjoying each member of the family and what we each bring to the family.
Let your imagination run wild. You can choose things which are free or splash out every now and then with something you need to pay for. Have a brainstorming session with your kids and see what sort of things they would like to do.
Here are just a few ideas:
- Have a family “date” night once a month. Each person gets to choose what they would like the family to do whether it be a meal or an activity or both
- Go on a Sunday drive, just like the old days (perhaps on the way home from church). Grab some snacks and pick an area on the map to go and have a look at. You might discover a new playground or cafe.
- Work on a family art project: a group painting, pick digital photos to print off, paint a fence together, paint rocks with encouraging messages to leave on your local walkway or at a playground
- Room makeover: got too much clutter? Give everyone a role in making over a room, eg sort toys, cleaning, rehome, create new artwork for the room
- Chores: they can be boring so why not make them fun. Check out this idea from The Parenting Place
- Birthdays: Are all your birthdays around the same time of the year? Why not celebrate someone else’s birthday at a different time. Make a new birthday for a pet, or do you know someone who doesn’t have much family that would love some birthday attention? Or just create your own reason to celebrate
- Celebrate oddball holidays
The possibilities are endless but hopefully some of these suggestions get your creativity flowing.