As we digest the recent events in Christchurch, we need to be aware of the effect it is having on our children. Although some may not be fully aware of what happened, they will pick up on your own anxiety. At school, there may be discussions about the incident and schools may even take the opportunity to run lock down drills in case it should happen here. This, in itself, may cause your child to feel stress.
Here are some links I have been sent from my children’s ministry contacts. These sites provide great information about how to handle these conversations. But please, do not hesitate to contact a health professional if you think it is needed.
- How to talk to Children about Terrorism (The Conversation)
- How to talk to kids about trauma (Parenting Place)
- Ministry of Health – Helping Children – mindful of the different stages of development.
- 10 Tips for helping children cope with disaster (Save the Children)
- Helping Kids Cope with Disaster and Trauma (Nigel Latta)
- Supporting your Children/Teen after a stressful or traumatic event (Skylight)
- 5 components of psychological first aid – Psychological First Aid Toolkit—What’s in Yours?
And of course, pray!! Here are some helpful scriptures to help us with our fear. Write them somewhere they can be seen, pray them as a family, include one on a note in your child’s school lunch.
- Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9
- Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4
- The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:6-7
- For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God,which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7
- I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. John 16:33